Thursday, August 25, 2011

Building the lodge


A week before my son was to begin his first day of first grade, I asked him what other things he wanted to do before school began again… I was expecting some new movie that he wanted to watch, due to the fact that we saw just about every movie about superheroes and wizards this summer. He grinned at first and thought about the possibilities and then he looked me in the eye and said, “Let’s finish the lodge, papa…”

Earlier this summer after having been laid off, I had tons of time to spend with my son. We had gone out to Marana by the Santa Cruz looking for some willow to build a sweatlodge in the back yard, it is our second lodge at the house, the previous fell into disrepair when we were the owners of a rambunctious dog. Although my son had been to several medicine meetings, I knew that he was ready to learn about ceremony so we set out to scout some willow in late June but to no avail. Defeated by the glaring sun and the oppressive heat we sought refuge at my parents’ home in Avra Valley. Smart choice, I was able to catch up with my dad and visit with my mom when she arrived home. I also got a chance to ask my dad about plants and I left with some nopales to plant and a few mesquites to add my modest sustainable urban garden.

Some time passed and other priorities came and went, so when I asked him what he wanted to do to close out the summer I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed as if though the time that he relished with me was in the prospects of building that lodge. I went outside and checked the skies, according to my calculations we had about two hours to go the river and cut down some willow. I also looked at the transportation and remembered that I had a minivan so I was going to have to strap the willow to the top. Well it’s not exactly a pick up but its all I have and it will have to do, I thought to myself.

Today is a good day to build a lodge…

And so we set off to find the spot where we had noticed several willows growing by the river’s edge. There was no barbed wire so access was relatively easy, my son’s excitement grew by leaps and bounds. I parked the minivan and took out a pouch of ceremonial tobacco and gave some to my son and I instructed him to thank the willow for allowing us to use its branches to make the lodge. I had been waiting for this day and it seemed so natural to share this moment, now I had to tell my son that we were going to work hard and that he needed to focus and think good things because we were in the homes of many of our animal relatives. It seemed like the world around us became alive at that very moment.

We sought out a big willow and my son was quick to note that there were lots of ants nearby so we helped each other out by alerting each other when we were standing on ant hills. We came across some bees as well, just picture a papa bear and his cub pawing some trees and that was pretty much us. I was impressed with the agility of my son as he carried the branches from the ravine back to the van…we were actualizing a rite of passage and he knew it. Actually I always talk to my son about the red road being similar to the learning that a Jedi goes through, not that I was ever taught by a Jedi, but If I had I think it would be a lot like what I learned from my elders. And that is a good thing.

Just as we were cutting the last branch it was as if the spirit of the river had summoned the clouds to replenish her banks with the beautiful jade waters that ran through our lands. I also remembered that we were parked near a huge steel utility pole so I didn’t want to risk lightning striking near our location. I bundled the willow poles and tied them across the roof of my van to deliver to our house.

The following morning my son and I began the building of the lodge, I played some peyote songs and began smudging the site where the lodge was to be built as well as myself and mijo. Knowing I would need the help of a good friend I called my compa Abie and soon we were digging holes and placing the poles to give shape to the lodge. Of all the summer time activities I took part in this summer this was the most rewarding.




The lodge still needs some last details, and I may have to visit the river to cut some more willow and a lot of our grandfather stones need to be retired, but the fire pit is ready and soon beautiful songs and blessings will emanate from the lodge that my son and I built.

On the night before his first day at school, I asked him what he was going to share with his teacher and classmates as to what he did over summer vacation and he responded “I built a sweatlodge with my papa!”

Attaboy!

2 comments:

  1. definitely not the last memory you create with him but maybe one that is far longer lasting than some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little bit of math with an improvised compass, using real feet to measure feet, and some freshly squeezed limonada under fine mist of water to cool off on what felt like the hottest day of summer and the hardened caliche being dug in before the use of iron age tools :)

    ReplyDelete